By Bobby M.
In case you missed any of the news from June 9th through June 11th, here is a brief recap regarding much of what happened. Not everything will have a hyperlink, so if you would like more information, please highlight and google it.
When you look at the two biggest stories from this past weekend, you can see a particularly theme, “Fallout”. Fallout from Trump calling James Comey a liar regarding his Senate testimony, and fallout from the United Kingdom’s recent elections. In regards to Trump and the republican party, they took every opportunity this weekend to attack James Comey and anyone agreeing with what he said in front of the Senate. Trump even went as far as trying to tie it to the leak of classified information. Due to Trump claiming Comey is a liar, congress is pushing for the release of any audio tapes, assuming they exist. When it comes to the United Kingdom, due to Prime Minister Theresa May’s party suffering tremendous losses, many are calling for her to step down, which has led to two of her main advisers doing so. Expect more UK election fallout news later in the week.
The rest of what is listed below may have been harder to hear details about…
- Pretty hypocritical for Trump to try and frame Comey as a leaker when Kellyanne Conway is doing the same at her dinner parties
- In an effort to distract from Comey’s testimony and his own claims that it was lying to the Senate, Trump tried to take credit for an infrastructure permitting plan Obama has had in place already
- For someone who tries to frame himself as strong, Trump certainly is afraid of alot of this. This time, Trump is afraid to go to the UK because of the overwhelming public hate for him there
- Various anti-Muslim groups organized protests across the country and they were met with counter-protesters
- A Texas mother purposefully left her young children in a car overnight and into the day leasing to their deaths
- Puerto Rico voted overwhelmingly in favor of statehood on Sunday in a referendum that begins the steps toward sending representatives to Washington, D.C.
- Adam West, famous for his role in the 1960’s Batman TV show died at the age of 88
- The trailer for Marvel’s Black Panther movie set the internet on fire
- Rafael Nadal won the 2017 French Open
- The Pittsburgh Penguins repeat as NHL champions, winning the Stanley Cup over the Nashville Predators in 6 games
- Tapwrit wins the 2017 running of the Belmont Stakes in horse racing
- As Secretary of State Rex Tillerson tried to ease tensions in the world regarding Qatar, Trump inflamed the situation by attacking the country again
- Thousands marched across the United States for LGBT pride, with the event in the nations capital disrupted by protesters. The march under than banner in Los Angeles turned into a #ResistTrump protest