By Bobby M.
In case you missed any of the news from May 12th through May 14th, here is a brief recap regarding much of what happened. Not everything will have a hyperlink, so if you would like more information, please highlight and google it.
The biggest story for the weekend involved leaked NSA hacking tools being the cause of a massive cyber-attack that hit 150 different countries, 100k groups, and at least 200k people. And there is worry that more may happen come Monday morning. The other story involved North Korea firing off a ballistic missile test that they claim can be armed with a nuclear warhead. This was done because of the recent South Korean presidential elections. The White House’s statement seemed to have more concern about what Russia may think.
The rest of what is listed below may have been harder to hear details about…
- We hope you wished your mom a ‘Happy Mother’s Day’. There were numerous stories involving celebrities doing this over the course of the weekend
- Saturday Night Live had one of their best episodes ever after Comey-Gate, due in the news and the hype NBC had built up for it
- Chelsea Manning will not only be getting out of jail soon, but will return to active duty and receive healthcare
- Several dozen torch-wielding Neo-Nazis gathered in Charlottesville, Virginia chanting, “Russia is our friend”
- A report was released stating New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman is investigating the real estate deals of Paul Manafort while the Justice Department requests his bank records
- George W. Bush’s CIA and NSA chief, Michael Hayden, thinks a special prosecutor is needed to investigate Russia’s interference in the election
- Trump traveled to a Trump-related property for the 15th weekend in a row to play golf yet again in Virginia
- Reports have leaked out that Jason Chaffetz plans to join Fox News
- A poll states that 78 percent of Americans believe an independent commission should handle the investigation into Russia’s interference
- The United States and China will expand trade in beef and chicken and increase access for financial firms
- Actor Powers Boothe, notable for appearances in “Tombstone”, “Sin City”, and many others has died at the age of 68
- Former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper stated on the Sunday News talk circuit that ‘Our institutions are under assault’ by Trump’ and that there is a ‘curious pattern’ of Russian deaths’
- Trump attacked critics and the ability to give a differing opinion in his graduation commencement to Liberty University
- James Comey stated he will only testify to congress if it is in a public hearing
- A key state election in Germany led to a victory for Angela Merkel and shows she is on pace to retain power
- New French President Emmanuel Macron pledges to overcome division in society in his inaugural address
- Syrian army regains control of airport in northern Syria from Islamic State
- U.S. lawmakers on Sunday called on President Donald Trump to turn over any tapes of conversations with fired FBI chief James Comey