By Bobby M.
In case you missed any of the news from April 28th through April 30th, here is a brief recap regarding much of what happened. Not everything will have a hyperlink, so if you would like more information, please highlight and google it.
Changing things up for this article with to two different competing themes of related stories regarding the highlights of the news this past weekend. Mere days after Trump had the EPA remove all references to climate change from their website that had been there for years, the March for Climate Change happened all over the world with 200K or more in Washington, D.C. alone. Apparently Mother Nature wanted to get in on the action to show that climate change was real because a large storm system hit the bulk of the country leaving destruction in its wake. This one system had tornadoes, hail, flooding, and blizzards ranging from Minnesota, down to Texas, and across from Kansas through Tennessee and Alabama. The other theme involved how Trump was too chicken to attend the White House Correspondence Dinner. As part of his boycott, he held a rally in Pennsylvania instead to soothe his ego. Because of his cowardice, the WHCD attendees lit into him even harder than usual, just as he deserved. It was so well known how he was going to skip the event, that rising political satirist Samantha Bee held her own event to do the same thing, while also praising free press.
The rest of what is listed below may have been harder to hear details about…
- The White House administration gave voice to hoping to change laws to where they can sue media outlets for stories they do not like
- Congress came to a deal to fund the government through September, with no money going towards a border wall
- The NRA and Trump held yet another rally to soothe his ego
- Trump again attacked Senator Elizabeth Warren with his racist namecalling
- Suspected neo-Nazi Sebastion Gorka, who was serving as a national security aide, is leaving the White House
- Presidents of Japan and Russia meet to discuss peace treaty over territorial differences
- Moscow is ready to cooperate with the United States again on settling the Syrian crisis
- Turkey expelled more than 3,900 people from the civil service and military as supposed threats to national security
- More ties emerge between Paul Manafort and Russia
- The USDA lowered meal standards regarding nutrition to feed kids in school lunches
- North Korea held yet another failed missile test over the weekend
- The naval group that Trump ‘lost’ finally arrived in the Sea of Japan
- Trump invites human rights abuser and president of the Phillipines Rodrigo Duterte to the White House amidst ethics concerns over business relations after he comments about how Kim Jung-un wants to destroy the entire world
- The Trump team was caught in a lie regarding the vetting procedures for Michael Flynn
- Trump lied about how much he likes golf before going on yet another golf excursion
- Trump tries to lie on CBS’s ‘Face The Nation’ about how Russia did not interfere in the election; even going as far as to say that maybe it was China (that should really help relations when he wants that country to do all the hard work on North Korea)
- Trump tried to lie about how his first 100 days in office were “the most successful ever” even though facts bear out differently. Stephen Colbert called him out on his lie with his own recap